The State of Ohio Has a Fake ID Problem
The United States has a problem with a growing proliferation of fake identification cards nationwide. Many of these fake IDs come from increasingly sophisticated counterfeiters located overseas with highly sophisticated equipment, but that still doesn’t stop the average Joe from forging ID’s with Photoshop and a scanner. The impact of the phenomenon is evident in all 50 states, and the state of Ohio is no exception. The impact of the phenomenon can be seen the following stories:
- Authorities are currently conducting a search for two people accused of using fraudulent credit card accounts to go on a massive shopping spree. The two reportedly used a fake ID to complete the credit card application process before charging more than $10,000 at various retail establishments on several cards. Authorities say that the couple utilized the information of an unsuspecting Jefferson Township resident to aid them in their scam.
- An underage member of the Xavier University basketball team was recently arrested for disorderly conduct and possession of a fraudulent ID. Bar employees alerted the police when the clearly inebriated player began acting erratically and brandished the fraudulent ID to the arresting officer.
The Penalties for Fake ID possession in Ohio
The state of Ohio takes the use of fraudulent or fictitious ID’s very seriously, and offenders can find themselves in a lot more trouble than they might think. Under state law, possession and/or use of a fake ID can result in a elem9-1 Software Aptika Element - Idpack Card Id 9. An offender charged will face the following punishments:
- Jail sentence up to 180 days
- Fine up to $1000
As always, the severity of the punishment will vary on a case-by-case basis.
The possession and use of a real, legitimate Ohio ID card or driver's license belonging to another person holds different weight in the eyes of the law, leading to an even stiffer penalty. Getting caught passing another person's card off as your own is considered identity fraud in Ohio, which is a felony. An offender charged with identity fraud can face a one-year prison sentence and fines totalling up to $2,500. That being said, it would be wise to give second thought before swiping and using an older sibling's ID card in Ohio!
How to Spot a Fake Ohio ID
For bartenders, doormen, waiters, waitresses, notaries, bank tellers, retail clerks, and any other individuals who must verify ID in a professional capacity, the recent surge in fake ID production and possession is troubling. Often times the party responsible for failing to spot a fake ID assumes just as much, or even more, liability than the party that presented the ID. Therefore, it is imperative that businesses needing to regular verify the identification of their patrons use the I.D. Checking Guide.
What the I.D. Checking Guide Includes:
- A full page or more for each U.S. state and Canadian province identity card sample, showing driver’s licenses and ID cards, plus U.S. and Canadian territories.
- Guidelines on standard Ohio driver's license terms, term length, etc.
- An explanation of where ghost images, holograms, and microprinting elements should be found on valid Ohio ID
- An explanation of what the proper alphanumeric sequencing of a Ohio ID or Driver's license should be (i.e how many letters, numbers, etc.)
- Full details for pre-2011 driver's licenses and the current, REAL ID Act-compliant, Ohio driver's licenses.
- Sample-passport-gov - uk-1 Smith Stone Sample-passport-gov - uk-1 Smith Stone "How to check driver’s licenses" techniques for training use.